Without a doubt, the single most inspirational photographer for me has to be the late and truly great Bob Carlos Clarke. I’d like to say “the most influential” but that seems (to me, at least) to infer something about my photography which I could not justify. If there was anyone whose body of work I would like to be able to claim as my own, it would be him.
There are three other photographers who have produced calendars, which have the right kind of feel (again, for me at least) and which I have actually seen:
- HervÃ© Lewis – www.hervelewis.com – BackSide
- Tanya Chalkin – www.tanyachalkin.com – Sirens
- Mick Payton – www.mickpayton.com – Derrieres
There are some common elements to the calendars I have seen for all three and, to some extent, also to some of Bob Carlos Clarke’s work:
- They are all shot in, or produced in, monochrome
- They are all glamorous, sexy, female form based
- The photographic area of the calendar is around A4 size, making it very practical and achievable in terms of quality.
HervÃ© Lewis and Mick Payton (and BCC, obviously!) appeal to me because they are often quite challenging. Tanya Chalkin’s “Sirens” calendar is much less challenging but still very sexy, largely because of the three very real looking models featured throughout the calendar in various combinations. It’s a refreshing approach.
Although the actual subject of the calendar has not been decided definitely, at this point it seems likely to be of a glamorous nature. I think it is time to research studios and models.